Siemens-Schuckert Werke GmbH

From Inventing aviation
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The full name of this firm is “Siemens-Schuckert Werke Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung”.[1] For more on the G.m.b.H corporate designation, in context, see company types. We have them addressed at No. 3, Askanischer Platz, Berlin, Germany.[2]

There was a Abteilung Flugzeugbau (Department of Aircraft) of Siemens-Schuckert Works, a giant electricity generating firm, in Siemensstadt (Siemens City) near Berlin. Franz and Bruno Steffen were designers starting in late 1914.

The company began building large non-rigid airships in 1907, followed by aeroplanes from 1909-1911, when work stopped due to a death in a flying accident. Aircraft Department reopened September 1914, creating a series of Steffen-designed Rissenflugzeug (giant aircraft) from May 1915; the R8, which had six 300hp Basse and Selve engines in fuselage with shafting to tractor and pusher propellers, was the largest aircraft of 1918; no indication that these were other than prototypes. Production aircraft from October 1915 included Type D and E monoplane fighters; output was modest and included the E1, 1915 (20 built); D1, 1916 (95 delivered); and the D4, 1918, a fast-climbing interceptor with 160hp Siemens-Halske motor (120 built). This work stopped at WWI Armistice.

Patents

During our period, Siemens-Schuckert Werke internationally filed hundreds of patents, many concerned with electricity and related machinery. Some of these are listed on espacenet under "SIEMENS AG" and other variations.[3] Our German and likely German red-link patent prompts shown in the reports below reflect patents which were quite likely filed but which may not have been accepted.

Sources

References


Names Siemens-Schuckert Werke GmbH (SSW), Abteilung Flugzeugbau
Country Germany
City Siemensstadt (Siemens City) near Berlin, No. 3, Askanischer Platz, Berlin, Germany
Affiliations
Keywords LTA, electricity, navigation, airplane
Started aero 1909
Ended aero 1918
Key people
Wikidata id