John William Dunne
John William Dunne (b. 1875) was a British aeronautical engineer.
Dunne was borne in Ireland, the son of General J. H. Dunne, K.C.B. He studied aeronautics after becoming disabled by enteric in the Boer War.
He befriended H. G. Wells and the two men were mutually influential. Dunne believed the first reports of the Wright Brothers flying at Kitty Hawk. "Abandoning, then, all thoughts of being the first person to fly, he concentrated entirely on the stability problem." He wanted to design a machine, which would be not only "hands-off" but "foolproof". This led to the development of the Dunne-Huntington aircraft, a collaboration with Alfred Kirby Huntington.
In 1906, at the recommendation of Colonel John Edward Capper, he was assigned to the R.E. Committee and assigned to work on Britain's first military airplane. This began secret trials in the Perthshire highlands in 1907. It didn't fly; they rebuilt and tried again in 1908, achieving some good glides but not full powered flight.
He founded the Blair Atholl Aeroplane Syndicate, Ltd., in 1909. Blair Atholl was where his first glider was demonstrated.
On patents he gave the address 16 Charing Cross, London, W.C.
Patents whose inventor or applicant is John William Dunne
- Patent GB-1910-17185 (Filing date: 1910-07-19)
- Patent GB-1910-17186 (Filing date: 1910-07-19)
- Patent GB-1908-2808 (English title: Improvements in and relating to aeroplanes, Filing date: 1908-02-07)
- Patent GB-1909-8118 (English title: design for automatically stable flying machine with reduced oscillation, Filing date: 1909-04-05)
- Patent GB-1909-11021 (English title: design for flying machine with automatic stability and freedom from oscillation, Filing date: 1909-05-10)
- Patent GB-1909-13418 (English title: Improvements in Controlling Devices for Aeroplanes, Filing date: 1909-06-08)
- Patent GB-1909-20723 (English title: Improvements in Underframes for Aeroplanes and like Machines, Filing date: 1909-09-10)
- Patent GB-1909-26441 (English title: Improvements in and relating to Aeroplanes, Filing date: 1909-11-15)
- Patent US-1910-1003721 (English title: Aeroplane, Supplementary to patent: Patent GB-1909-8118, Filing date: 1910-04-01)
- Patent US-1910-975403 (English title: Aeroplane, Filing date: 1910-06-20)
- Patent GB-1910-16276 (English title: Improvements in and relating to Aerial Machines, Filing date: 1910-07-07)
- Patent CA-1911-135745 (English title: Aeroplane, Filing date: 1911-04-22)
Publications by or about John William Dunne
- Publication B2p1272e11, 1910, Automatic stability problem solved (Simple title: Automatic stability problem solved, Journal: Aeronautics (US))
|Names||John William Dunne|
|Locations||London; Blair Atholl|
|Affiliations||Blair Atholl Aeroplane Syndicate|