Hubert Latham was a pilot who became famous in 1909.
Zahm (1911) writes:
Hubert Latham, in his beautiful Antoinette monoplane, began to achieve distinction for himself and his admirably designed long-tailed flyer early in the spring, and, here midsummer, was one of the favorite idols of the throned aërodromes. He preferred a lofty course; he cut through the sky with the precision and grace of a winged-spear; he fascinated the spectators by the steadiness of his sweep. The French reporters declare they saw him roll and light cigarettes in full flight.
In the process he set various records and unsuccessfully attempted to win the Daily Mail prize for crossing the English Channel. After Blériot beat him to it, he tried again on 27 July 1909 but failed again, forced to land two miles short of the goal.
Publications by or about Hubert Latham
- Latham, 1909, Il Latham nella Manica (Simple title: Latham in the English Channel, Journal: Riv. Tech. Aer. Boll. Soc. Aer. Ital.)
- Latham, 1909, Foreign affairs. The brave attempt that failed (Simple title: Foreign affairs. The brave attempt that failed, Journal: Fly)
- Latham, 1909, Latham's aeroplane (Simple title: Latham's aeroplane, Journal: Science)
- Latham, 1909, Il passaggio della manica in aeroplano (Simple title: The passage of the sleeve in an airplane, Journal: Riv. Tech. Aer. Boll. Soc. Aer. Ital.)
- Comas Solá, 1909, Estado actual de la aviación (Simple title: Present state of aviation, Journal: Revista de Locomoción Aérea)
- Latham, 1910, A two-seated Antoinette (Simple title: A two-seated Antoinette, Journal: Aircraft)
- Patterson, 1910, Baltimore aviation meet (Simple title: Baltimore aviation meet, Journal: Aeronautics (US))
- Latham, 1910, Latham's sixteen cylinder 100 horse power Antoinette motor and normal propeller (Simple title: Latham's sixteen cylinder 100 horse power Antoinette motor and normal propeller, Journal: Aircraft)
- Latham, 1910, The latest Latham Antoinette (Simple title: The latest Latham Antoinette, Journal: Aircraft)
- Latham, 1912, Ueber Lathams Tod (Simple title: About Latham's death, Journal: Wien. Luftsch. Zeit.)
- Latham, 1912, Hubert Latham meets death while on a hunting trip (Simple title: Hubert Latham meets death while on a hunting trip, Journal: Fly)
- Walsh, 2013 (Simple title: Hubert Latham, 1883-1912)