The INPI started in 1951. The earliest predecessor of the INPI was the Office de Brevets, the name of which was expanded to L'Office des brevets d'invention et des marques de fabrique, in 1900. This was re-named as the Office national de la propriété industrielle in 1902. The current designation, legally a per se replacement of the ONPI by the Institut national de la propriété industrielle was enacted by law no. 51-444 on 19 April 1951.
- Institut national de la propriété industrielle
- For actual use, particularly handy regarding material ranging from the earliest French-registered patents up through those dating into the mid-late Nineteenth Century, INPI
- Key background source on this history of INPI, its predecessor, and French patents generally: Emptoz and Marchal, 2002, Aux sources de la propriété industrielle: Guide des archives de l’INPI
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Institute_of_Industrial_Property_(France) needs expansion, and to cite Emptoz and Marchal.
The hospitality and facilitation offered by current INPI Courbevoie staff, on 11 and 12 January, 2018, has been greatly appreciated. This has greatly to do with access to archived publications generally not yet digitized. We are looking forward to continuing in this collaboration. Actually the Courbevoie location is the INPI office proper to the région française Île-de-France, so naturally there are others. Experts are on hand, online and via email. In terms of physical archives at the location, it is primarily the antique catalogues which are on hand, as opposed to actual patent originals, though access to these may be requested in advance.
More to fold in here
The “Office des brevets” was replaced in in 1919 by the “Office national de la propriété industrielle” (ONPI), which was replaced by the “Institut national de la propriété industrielle” (INPI), on the 19th of April, 1951.
In comments. INPI.fr refers to the French INPI's web site.
Patent laws, per INPI book:
- 7 jan 1791
- 25 mai 1791
- 5 jui 1844
- 9 jui 1901
- 7 avr 1906
- 24 oct 1919
- many more on page 202 of Emptoz and Marchal
- 1853-1904 pages 70 and 211
- 1904-1958 page 212
- show and Fr and En and identify the ones in aero
- grants: 1791-1901, page 214
- grants: 1902-1966, page 216
- dossier, p60-61, 66
- Contemporary sources on French patents