Aviation Department of J. Samuel White and Co. Ltd.
Wight Aircraft was the name given to the aviation department that John Samuel White established at his boatbuilding firm, J. Samuel White and Co. Ltd., on the Isle of Wight, 1 Jan 1913. Howard T. Wright became the aircraft designer.
Exhibited first aircraft Feb 1913, an improved navy pusher seaplane; seven were built for the Admiralty A.D. After that, a number of seaplanes were built for the A.D., mostly in single or low numbers, including both tractor and pusher biplane seaplanes, as well as a land tractor biplane and a quadruplane. The largest output of those listed in SD was the conversion of 80 tractor biplanes to seaplanes. (The quantities are determined from the serial numbers listed in SD. All aircraft listed in SD are designated Wight and appear to be either original designs or modifications of A.D. designs by Howard Wright.) According to G and 2dG, the firm also built 110 Short 184 seaplanes. News reports in October 1913 and March 1914 indicate that E. C. Gordon England was testing a new White seaplane designed by Howard Wright; the wings had Wright's double camber. SD identifies a Wight double-camber seaplane and a Wight double-camber Navyplane, both 1913. Additionally in 1913, Wight Aircraft built a Radley-Moorhouse seaplane.
|Names||Aviation Department of J. Samuel White and Co. Ltd. (Wight Aircraft)|
|City||East Cowles, Isle of Wight|
|Key people||John Samuel White, Howard T. Wright|